Professor of Political Theory and Geography at the University of Warwick

I am pleased to announce that I have been appointed as Professor of Political Theory and Geography at the University of Warwick, starting in September 2013. The position is based in the Politics and International Studies department, but a substantial portion of my time will be devoted to working with the Centre for Urban Science and Progress – a partnership with New York University among others – and with Monash University as part of the Monash-Warwick Alliance. I will be spending a couple of months each year in New York and in Melbourne.

I will be sorry to leave Durham University, the Geography department, the International Boundaries Research Unit and the Institute of Advanced Study. I’ve enjoyed my 11 years at Durham, and learnt an enormous amount through being in a Geography department. This new role combines  the area I was trained in – political theory – with the discipline that has been very generous in adopting me – geography. Warwick’s PAIS is one of the most exciting departments in political science. The New York and Australia parts of the role combine my favourite city and my favourite country, as well as great universities. It really is a dream role, and I’m very excited by the prospect.

This entry was posted in Institute of Advanced Study, Travel, Universities. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Professor of Political Theory and Geography at the University of Warwick

1. theurbanfix says:

Congratulations Stuart, that’s great news and really is a dream job!

2. Ernestina says:

Congratulations on your inspiring journey. Wishing you all the best for your soon to be new homes 🙂

3. Volha says:

Many congratulations! Very sorry to see you leave Durham, but wishing you every success in your new dream job!

4. Jeremy says:

Reblogged this on Open Geography and commented:
    Major news from Stuart Elden that he is moving to University of Warwick, in the Politics and International Studies Department. Congratulations to Stuart on what sounds like a really exciting opportunity!

5. Chathan says:

Congrats on the new job. I have no doubt you will continue to provoke and inspire there as you have done before elsewhere.

6. dustette says:

I happened to see that vacancy announcement a few months ago and was thinking: what a strange title, but if anyone, you would be the right person. Congratulations!