It was awarded the 2013 Association of American Geographers Meridian Book Award for ‘outstanding scholarly work in Geography’. It was also joint winner of the inaugural book award from the journal Global Discourse. A symposium on the book with reviews and a response from me will appear in 2015.
The book is forthcoming in Chinese translation.
There are some interviews about the book here.
The book has been reviewed in several journals:
- Contrivers’ Review by Kate Sammler (open access)
- The American Historical Review by Matthew Hannah
- Theory, Culture and Society by Dennis Crow (open access)
- review forum in Political Geography (Claudio Minca, Jeremy W. Crampton, Joe Bryan, Juliet J. Fall, Alex B. Murphy, Anssi Paasi, Stuart Elden)
- review forum in Dialogues in Human Geography (Austin Charron, Chih Yuan Woon, Natalie Koch, Kevin R Cox, Stuart Elden)
- Croatian International Relations Review by Daniel Šaric (open access)
- Geographical Review by Joshua Hagen
- Society and Space by Gerry Kearns (open access)
- Imago Mundi by Tom Conley
- Journal of Historical Geography by David Storey
- Antipode by Philip Campanile
Forthcoming: book review forum in Journal of Historical Geography based on the 2014 Royal Geographical Society ‘author meets critics’ session.
I wrote the book, on and off, between 2000 and 2012. Between 2008 and 2011 I was working on it full-time while the recipient of a Leverhulme major research fellowship. Below are some of the materials online relating to this project.
Some of the lectures on this project were video or audio recorded.
- “Territory without Borders”, Global Studies Association, September 2009.
- “The Emergence of Territory”, Erlangen, July 2010.
- “The Emergence of Territory”, Nijmegen (updated version of Erlangen). September 2010 (also available on YouTube).
- “From Territorium to Territory”, Open University (audio only), June 2010.
- “How should we do the history of territory?” University of California, Berkeley (audio only), September 2011.
- “The Birth of Territory – book launch”, University of Warwick, 16 October 2013 (audio).
- “The Birth of Territory”, RMIT University, 27 February 2014 (audio).
A draft of what forms the basis for the introduction has been published separately here. Material on Kleisthenes, Antigone and Beowulf also appeared separately, in rather different form to how it is in the book.
Updates on the chapters – written while I was redrafting the whole book while in Seattle in late 2010 – can be found at these links: Chapter One; Chapter Two; Chapter Three; Chapter Four; Chapter Five; Chapter Six; Chapter Seven; Chapter Eight; Chapter Nine. A brief discussion of the introduction can be found here.
Finally, this is the animated presentation Juliet J Fall gave at the AAG Annual Meeting in Tampa, Florida, on 7th April 2014 as part of the “Author meets critics” session on the book, organised by Claudio Minca and Jeremy Crampton (no soundtrack). Many thanks to Juliet for making this extraordinary piece of work.