The Birth of Territory is forthcoming with University of Chicago Press in August 2013 in simultaneous cloth and paperback editions. I wrote the book, on and off, between 2000 and 2012. Between 2008 and 2011 I was working on it full-time while the recipient of a Leverhulme major research fellowship. This page gathers up some of the materials online relating to this project.
Updates on the chapters – written while I was redrafting the whole book while in Seattle – can be found at these links: Chapter One; Chapter Two; Chapter Three; Chapter Four; Chapter Five; Chapter Six; Chapter Seven; Chapter Eight; Chapter Nine. A brief discussion of the introduction can be found here.
Some of the lectures I’ve given on this project have been video or audio recorded.
- “Territory without Borders”, Global Studies Association, September 2009.
- “The Emergence of Territory”, Erlangen, July 2010.
- “The Emergence of Territory”, Nijmegen (updated version of Erlangen). September 2010 (also available on YouTube).
- “From Territorium to Territory”, Open University (audio only), June 2010.
- “How should we do the history of territory?” University of California, Berkeley (audio only), September 2011.
A draft of what forms the basis for the introduction has been published separately here. Material on Kleisthenes, Antigone and Beowulf has also appeared separately, in rather different forms to how it will be in the book.